Sunday, January 28, 2007

Open Lot To The Past


Open Lot To The Past
Originally uploaded by Runs With Scissors.
There aren't many empty lots like this left in New York City, yet once upon a time there were many. Sometimes, in some neighborhoods they were all that could be seen.

Given all that has changed in my city in the last 20 or so years, a certain part of me wants to save a few of these lots; a place or two to commemorate the lousy past. It could be like a monument that make us say to ourselves, "I remember when Howard Cosell told the world, The Bronx is burning".

The strongest memory I have when I approach this lot on my way to yoga each Saturday is when I was a reckless teen hanging out on the Lower East Side's Alphabet City. There at a party in the dead of winter, sweaty bodies dancing to the Tom Tom Club in a dark, steamy living room. I took a moment to go out to the fire escape for some air and to let the acid kick in.

The rear view of the building was nothing but an empty lot. Imagine if you will, an entire New York City block with just a building or two on it! Laugh if you want, but I was there as the glass reflected up from the overgrown weeds. I saw the glimmering become an ocean with large waves splashing up against the tenement I was in.

You can't have my memory, they ripped out the weeds, dug a big hole and built their luxury lofts on top of those waves.

The Bronx may not be burning, but my memories live on.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came, I saw, and I liked !
Nice points of vieux, you already look like a friend,

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home