Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Can't Take Pictures Here


I finally heard the words, "Excuse me. You can't take pictures here." And yes I thought I was in the right too; I asked, "How about the art?" "No, You can't take pictures here."

I didn't push any further although I felt I should have. I mean it was done by WPA workers paid for by tax dollars. Then the ironies struck me: A mural of workers working with their hands in the lobby of the Financial Times Building in Rockefeller Center; A high school history techer can't take picutres of these historic pieces of artwork to bring back to his classroom; I'm firing the camera while being told to leave the joint; I'm taking a picture of this mural celebrating work as the Ford Motor Company is announcing the laying off of tens of thousands of employees and that their stock is rising rapidly because of the layoff...

Next time, I'm going to bring 30 annoying teenagers with me to that lobby.

1 Comments:

Blogger Runs With Scissors said...

no, deigo didn't work for the WPA.

The WPA was a New Deal relief program that put the unemployed to work. their art projects often documented the process of work.

i think there's a huge WPA mural up in Albany, NY in a post office.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home